Putney Co-op Ends Statement:
Because of all that we do, Putney will have an inspiring and sustainable community marketplace benefiting members and stakeholders.
The Putney Food Co-op is one of the oldest Co-ops in the country. It was founded in 1941, when fuel shortages due to WWII made it hard to obtain certain grocery items. To get needed supplies, a group of Putney residents led by Carol Brown formed the Putney Co-op according to the Co-operative Principles. Cash raised from selling member shares was used to rent a store front (purchased in 1944), obtain goods and hire staff. To accommodate the growing needs of the community, the Co-op membership voted in 1992 to move the co-op from its original site on Kimball Hill to our present site on Carol Brown Way and Route 5. Today we are a community marketplace and deli offering a diverse selection of quality products with a friendly and knowledgeable staff.